Checklist for Your Modular Home General Contractor References
We recommend that you speak with four customers for each candidate when checking your modular home general contractor references. Ask for two who built in the last year and two who built more than two years ago. Ideally, all of the references will have built modular homes.
Do not reject a modular home general contractor based solely on one unfavorable story, unless the reported incident is egregious. Any GC who has been in business for long is likely to have one or two unsatisfied customers, no matter how well he served them.
Questions for Your Modular Home General Contractor References
- Are you happy with the GC’s work?
- Did he do what he promised in a timely manner?
- Did he hold to his prices? Were there any overcharges?
- Were there extra charges because the GC’s allowances were too low to get you what you wanted and thought you were getting?
- How did the GC respond when you asked to make changes? Were the changes documented and fairly charged?
- How good was his choice of building materials?
- Did he change specifications from what was agreed to or expected?
- How good was his workmanship? Did he completely take care of all of the little details?
- Did he meet his deadlines?
- Were there any surprises?
- What did you think of the GC’s subcontractors?
- How was their workmanship?
- Were they on time?
- Did they follow-up on problems?
- Did they work in a safe and efficient manner?
- Did the GC supervise his subcontractors sufficiently?
- Did the GC have any payment problems with suppliers or subcontractors?
- How well did the GC clean up and get rid of all of the trash when he was done?
- How well has he honored his warranty?
- How well did he handle stress?
- How well did he handle disagreements?
- How available was the GC during the day? during the evening?
For more information about checking modular home general contractor references, see Selecting a General Contractor in The Modular Home by Andy Gianino, President of The Home Store.