When checking your modular home dealer customer references, I recommend that you ask each of your candidates for at least four references, and then contact each of them. Most people are happy to tell you about their experiences with the dealer, good and bad. If a dealer builds with more than one manufacturer, ask to speak to customers who had homes built by the manufacturer you are considering. Ideally, two of the references will have built in the last year and two will have built at least two years ago. Recent customers will be better able to tell you how effective the dealer was during the sales process, while past customers will tell you how well the house held up and the dealer honored his warranty obligations.
Do not automatically reject a dealer based solely on one unfavorable reference, unless the incident is egregious. Any dealer who has been in business for long is likely to have a few unsatisfied customers.
Questions for Your Modular Home Dealer Customer References
- Are you happy with your home?
- Did the dealer do what he promised in a timely manner?
- Did the dealer hold to his price? Were there any overcharges?
- Were there extra charges because the dealer’s allowances were too low to get you what you wanted?
- How did the dealer respond when he was asked to make changes? Were the changes documented and fairly charged?
- How good was the dealer’s choice of building specifications, such as windows and framing?
- Did the dealer change the specification from what was agreed to or expected?
- How good was the manufacturer’s workmanship?
- Did the manufacturer take care of all of the little details?
- Did the dealer meet his deadlines?
- Were there any surprises? If so, did they cost you more money?
- Did the dealer help you prepare your site for the delivery and set?
- What did you think of the dealer’s set crew and crane companies?
- Did they do all that you thought they would do?
- What did you think of their workmanship?
- Did they work in a safe and efficient manner?
- Did the set crew or dealer clean up the site and get rid of all of the trash when the set was done?
- How well did the dealer honor his warranty?
- Did the manufacturer provide prompt service?
- Did you have any disagreements with the dealer? If so, how were they handled?
- Was the dealer easy to reach while your home was under construction?
- Would you buy another home from the dealer?